Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Vanity Press - 3rd portion of the 4 Types of Publishing by Jo A. Wilkins


When the amount of submissions to commercial publishers became so large that 99% of those submissions were not being read unless you knew someone in the industry to send your work to, vanity presses were born. These vanity presses are known under various names, which I will not list here for obvious reasons. They did not start out as publishers, but as entrepreneurs who saw a need in the industry and tried to fill it. They, in most cases, do not edit the content of construction of your work.

A vanity press is exactly what this division of publishing implies; its total existence is predicated on stroking the author’s ego. They do not care if the content will sell or if the cost of their services are bloated to the author who pursues their offered avenue of either publishing or marketing. One vanity press offered getting your book reviewed by the New York Times for a mere $2500. If you didn’t bite on that, a few weeks later they offered a sale on the service for $1900. I know, because it happened to me. They kept it up until I told the representative that I knew I could send my book to the Times for nothing and I also knew that they did not waste their time reviewing books without sales or ones from a vanity press.

Another portion of their marketing scam is to offer a publicity kit and schedule book signings for you. When I took them up on the offer, I received a list of the bookstores in my city (that I could have compiled from my phone book), 100 invitations, and two posters to put up at the signing. They also let me know that they no longer set up book signings for the author. For all this, it only cost me $750.

·         No selection criteria
o   If you send a vanity press the telephone book on a disc, they will print it into a book for you and list it on their site for sale. They do not care about the content or construction of the book you send them.
o   I have a friend that sent her submission in to them like we are told we are supposed to submit, in a double spaced document. They printed her 250 page book on 500 pages with all the double spaces so it cost her twice as much to purchase her book.

·       While a commercial publisher's intended market is the general public, a vanity publisher's intended market is the author.
o   A vanity press will list your finished book on their website with a thousand other books. If the reader looking for a book happens onto their site, the reader is lost unless they know your name or title to enter into the search. A vanity press is out to sell your book to only one person – YOU.




So, you can see that vanity presses are out to take the desperate author who wants to see their work in print to the proverbial cleaners.  Although self-publishing has its place in niche areas, this type of self-publishing is what it hampering the publishing industry. Their only aim is to make a profit off frustrated authors.

Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment