Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Does Word Count Really Matter? By Denice Whitmore, Director of Editing for Mystic Publishers, Inc.

As a writer, I worry about word count. I want to meet my writing goals for the week. I want to create a vivid picture for my readers. And, publishers have minimum word count requirements for each genre. So as I’m writing, I keep these things in mind.
But as an editor, the last thing on my mind is word count. As a matter of fact, I frequently remove words. A lot of words. Sometimes I feel as if I have two personalities as writer and editor. I have to remember which hat I’m wearing at any given time.
When I have my writer’s hat on, I love to free write. I let the words flow on the page making all the same mistakes I would edit out of someone else’s work. Getting my ideas on the page and to a place where I can flesh them out is my goal. I don’t worry about rules or word count when I write a chapter for the first time. I may have some bullet points jotted down of things I need to accomplish in the chapter but quite often as I free write a better idea will come to me. Something that never occurred to me in my pre-write process will manifest itself on the page leaving me staring at the screen in wonder. It sometimes changes the direction of my story or develops a character in ways I hadn’t thought of. For me, it’s where the creativity happens. If I rigidly worried about writing rules or word count, I don’t believe I would have the same outcome.
I recently finished the first draft of my first book. My word count fell around 45,000 words. That’s about 10,000 words short of a minimum requirement for my genre. I am working on my second draft. I am adding scenes, changing one character’s personality, adding a character earlier in the book and giving him a bigger part in the plot and cleaning up the narrative. I am also changing from third person to first person point of view so my readers can better relate to my main character.
So now that I have my editor’s hat on, what has changed? I will look for unnecessary words like, that, and had. I will look for weak verbs like was, and replace them with stronger verbs. I will remove ‘ly’ words or adverbs and if necessary replace them with stronger verbs. I will look for passive phrases and make them active. And many other things that an editor should do. It is not uncommon for me to open a chapter that is 20 pages and whittle it down to 18.
It’s not that I am looking for words to delete. That is not the purpose of editing. My job as an editor is to make sure you have clear, vivid sentences that create a picture in the readers mind. To make sure the writing is concise and easy to understand. That the writer doesn’t bog down the story with author intrusion explaining things to the reader. To make sure that the ups and downs flow with the right amount, and right kind, of tension in each scene. That there are no unanswered questions (unless it has a sequel. Spoilers!) and a feeling of resolution at the end of the story.
Editing is so much more than just content or grammer. A good comprehensive editor can take your manuscript and enhance it to be your best work.   They can maintain your voice, identify plot holes, identify character inconsistencies and help build tension in your scenes. A good comprehensive editor wants you to succeed because in turn they succeed.
So in your process, don’t be so concerned about word count. Yes, you want to meet your publisher’s word count requirements. Yes, you want your editor to have some wiggle room because they will cut your word count down. But you don’t want to sacrifice your creativity to meet someone else’s standard. Create the best work you can do. Push the limits, try new things in your writing. Don’t be so worried about details like word count that you stifle your creativity to make it fit in the perfect word count box. Be the best writer you can be and the rest will fall in place. But most important don’t forget to have fun!
Keep writing!
For more information on standard word counts for different genre’s, check out the link below and read Chuck Sambuchino’s article in Writer’s Digest.

No comments:

Post a Comment