Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Don’t Lose Your Passion (Denice Whitmore)

I love to write! I love the feeling of having an idea, sitting at my computer, typing and watching it blossom on the page. Sometimes I don’t even end up where I planned. But there are times when I find myself caught up in the mechanics of writing. Is my grammar perfect? Is this paragraph passive or tell? Should I write this in deep point of view? Are my attributions bad? Do I have too many adverbs?

When I first started out, I was a rigid outliner. I would outline the chapter, even whole conversations. The outline was the law. I had to stick to it. Well, there was a certain chapter—I  wasn’t sure how to get to from point a to point b. I knew how it started and where it had to end but the details in the middle were a bit fuzzy. I decided to just sit down and start with what I had.

A wonderful thing happened. I wrote! I just let the words flow onto the page. It turned out to be some of my best writing. I didn’t worry about the rules that I had been obsessing over since I started my novel. I wasn’t held back by the details in my outline. I entered the story, letting the characters and events unfold on the page.

I had such a rush at the end. It was the same rush I wanted my readers to experience. I poured my passion onto the page and it showed in the writing. I learned that I was not an outliner or a free writer but a mixture of both. It was the balance I needed to free up my creativity and passion. I still outline, but loosely. Beginning, end and how it furthers the plot are about it. I might jot down a few details or ideas so I don’t lose them but nothing like before. I then sit and let things happen as a free writer. I call it free writing with direction.

Here’s my advice to new writers. Learn the rules. They will make you a better writer and in time will develop into good habits. There is a reason we have them (we all want to be published, don’t we?). But during your first draft don’t hold so tightly to them. Get your ideas on paper. Make mistakes. Try new things. Some will work and some won’t. The important thing is to have fun in the process. The business and mechanics of the manuscript come later. That’s what editing and re-drafting are for.

We all started writing because we enjoy it. It’s fun to take the people and places in our imaginations and commit them to paper for the world to see. Remember how you felt about writing when you didn’t know what show don’t tell meant? Let your creativity flow on the page and forget the rules for a moment.

When you write with freedom, you write with passion—that passion is appreciated by those who read your work. And passion can’t be taught.   

I tell my four boys all the time, “Get your work done first and you will have more time for fun.” When it comes to writing I truly believe it is the other way around. Revel in the creation process and make amazing characters with incredible lives. Put them in unbelievable situations. Put them through heart wrenching tragedies and up against impossible odds. Laugh with them, cry with them, mourn with them, scream with them. When you have done all that, then you can set to work applying the rules through your editing process.

Keep your passion and love for writing so it doesn’t become just another job. Your readers will love you for it!


~Keep writing~

No comments:

Post a Comment